Preventive measures are an important part of dealing with danger
In homes and workplaces, individuals should talk about possible dangers, discuss safety measures, locate exits and know where safety equipment is kept. A knowledge of first aid is very practical and can save lives. The Icelandic Red Cross gives first aid courses for the general public.
You should know how to operate safety equipment.
In homes and in workplaces safety equipment
- Fire extinguisher.
- Smoke detectors.
- Safety ladder or rope to evacuate high buildings.
- Tools such as a hammer, a saw, a screwdriver, an ax, a wrench and a crowbar.
Keep the following equipment in a “safety box” where everyone can find it:
- First-aid medical kit.
- Radio with batteries.
- First-aid instruction manual.
- List of important telephone numbers (relatives, service providers etc.).
- Your own emergency plan for the family/workplace.
Discuss and practice actions to be taken during an emergency situation (emergency plan). Let children participate so they will be prepared to respond appropriately.