The Chief Epidemiologist at the Directorate of Health in Iceland is responsible for health security and general and public measures against communicable diseases and other threats to health.
The Civil Protection Department is responsible for responding to concequences of a pandemic together with the Chief Epidemiologist according to a specific national pandemic response plan. This includes the mangement of general measures to keep social infrastructures operable and support for official measures against communicable disease.
The objectives of pandemic preparedness are:
• To prevent the pandemic reaching the country if possible.
• To reduce its domestic spread to the extent possible.
• To administer medical treatment and care to patients.
• To protect the people involved in the diagnosis, treatment, and care of patients.
• To protect social infrastructures and people responsible for indispensable services in the country.
It is important for Icelandic businesses to prepare for a pandemic, for example by making contingency plans. Ireland has made Business Continuity Planning – Responding to an influenza Pandemic
especially important is their Checklist of preparatory actions in responding to an Influenza Outbreak.