The Chief Epidemiologist at the Directorate of Health in Iceland is responsible for health security and general and public measures against communicable diseases and other threats to health.
The Civil Protection Department is responsible for responding to concequences of an influenza pandemic together with the Chief Epidemiologist according to a specific pandemic response plan. This includes the mangement of general measures to keep social infrastructures operable and support for official measures against communicable disease.
The objectives of pandemic influenza preparedness are:
• To prevent the pandemic reaching the country if possible.
• To reduce its domestic spread to the extent possible.
• To administer medical treatment and care to patients.
• To protect the people involved in the diagnosis, treatment, and care of patients.
• To protect social infrastructures and people responsible for indispensable services
in the country.