Preventive measures are an important part of dealing with danger
In homes and workplaces, individuals should discuss possible hazards in their local community, ensure safety measures, identify exits and escape routes and know where safety equipment is kept. A knowledge of first aid is essential and can save lives. The Icelandic Red Cross gives first aid courses for the general public.
You should know how to operate safety equipment. In homes and in workplaces safety equipment should include:
- Fire extinguisher.
- Smoke detectors.
- Safety ladder or rope to evacuate high buildings.
- Tools such as a hammer, a saw, a screwdriver, an ax, a wrench and a crowbar.
Keep „an emergency preparedness kit“ where everyone in your household can find it.: Equip your kit with items that you or your family might need during an emergency:
- First-aid medical kit.
- Radio with batteries. Blankets and plastic bags.
- Canned and dried food: beans, tuna, salmon, meat, fruits, oats, rice, quinoa, barley, pasta, nuts etc.
- Power station (portable), power bank and portable charger for computers and phones (charging source could be solar, batteries and cars).
- Cash and USB with important documents (passports, licenses and photos).
- Camping gear is ideal during emergency: grill, primus, sleeping bag. headlamps, extra batteries, lantern, coolers, cookware, dishes and kettle to name only few
- First-aid instruction manual.
- List of important telephone numbers (relatives, service providers etc.).
- Your own emergency plan for the family/workplace.
Discuss and practice actions to be taken during an emergency situation (emergency plan). Let children participate so they will be prepared to respond appropriately.