A violent storm is when wind reaches the speed of 33 meters per second, or 74 miles per hour.
- Maintain all parts of your house in good repair. Ensure that the roof covering is fastened down firmly, along with gutters, fences and other items.
When bad weather or a violent storm, is predicted:
- Keep loose items from flying around.
- Ensure that all windows and doors are firmly closed.
- Cancel trips and gatherings and do not send children to school.
- Follow announcements on the radio and listen to the weather forecast.
- Cover windows to prevent flying glass in case they are broken. Do not locate beds near windows if bad weather is expected.
If there is danger of a storm surge:
- Put shutters on windows facing the sea. Also plug indoor drains.
- Assess whether you should evacuate to a location farther inland.
- Remain indoors during a violent storm and stay on the leeward side of the house (i.e., away from where the wind is directly hitting).